Efficiency gains of consecutively ordered plots?

• Re: Question on Plot Files

I'm quite new and I'm enjoying learning about PoC mining. So far I have just over 5TB split over 3 drives of various standards.

My 1TB drive has one large 931GB plot. My other two 2TB drives have 2 x 931GB plots on each; so in total I have 5 x 931GB plots.

The numbering has gone a bit wonky to say the least, using Turboplotter, but I don't have any overlaps.

So, my question is, does it matter that plot numbering jumps about a little, as long as there are no overlaps?

For example, is this any better in terms of efficiency:

mynumericid_0_100
    mynumericid_100_100
    mynumericid_200_100

...than this:

mynumericid_0_100
    mynumericid_500_100
    mynumericid_1000_100

Hopefully, the answer is no. That would be the best outcome for me. Else my obsessive side will kick in and I'll spend a few days making it all nice and perfect for a few milliseconds gain in round time! 😋

Thanks to anyone who reads this, and double thanks for any insightful replies.

• As far as I know it doesn't make a difference if the plots are sequential or not. From a read speed point of view, fewer plots of bigger size will read quicker than lots of plots of smaller size. Depending on your setup, this can be anywhere up to 30 seconds on a 15Tb rig (based on my own experience). I keep mine sequential because I like things neat and tidy.

• @bluebook Thanks for the great advice.

Interesting though, I was recently advised from what I believe to be a good source, that having very large plots can be a problem if you run into trouble and need to replot. Put simply, if one of my 931GB plots is corrupted, I only have to replot that 931GB, and not the full 1.83TB.

• admin

@tedrogers

1. Sequential doesn't matter. when I was manually choosing the starting nonce I would just increase by 50M for each drive, now I just use the TurboPlotter auto-select.

2)A single large plot file is going to be more efficient to mine, but it comes down to number of plots on the drive. 1 x 10TB vs 5 x 2TB or 10 x 1 TB are all going to be indistinguishable, but 100 x 100GB will be noticeably slower.

As for replotting - it used to be an issue that if the plotter died while plotting a big file, you had to restart it from scratch, however all the current plotters have the ability to resume an interrupted plot.

• @haitch Great stuff! That helps a lot. And thank you for a definitive answer.

It's a great hobby for me, which when just mining (not plotting) still leaves my computer very useable for other things. Burst on!