random plotting question...

• Hypothetically, if i was to run 2 identical mining rigs for two separate accounts, if i plotted nonces 0 to 200,000,000 on each of them, would they generate the same d/l's on each block, or is the contents of the plot file affected by the accid used to generate the file?

I ask as lots of miners will have nonces 0 to X as people generally start at 0 and work upwards, but can't figure out whether if 2 people submit the same fastest d/l for that block, the person with the oldest accid wins, or the first to submit.

I have a feeling that the plot file contents is affected by the accid (meaning each nonce between 0 to X is different depending on what accid is plotted for and the size plotted), rather than multiple people submitting the same winning d/l and it being down to a second roll of the dice as to whether they win the block or not

• @bluebook Yes it is affected, otherwise to replot to a new account you could just go to the plot files and change the name, and you can't do that 😉
    Also I don't think it is possible to have 2 same DLs from different Accounts because there should only exist one solution to the block, the fastest...

• @gpedro though that was the case, but now onto the next question......

How does burst measure the plotted capacity?

Hdd manufacturers measure capacity differently to software, so you end up with a discrepancy between the physical size of a drive, and the reported size.

Which one of the two would you need to use for plot optimization as there can be a huge difference between the two (e.g. My 8tb drive has just over 8000000000000 bytes, but is only 7.27tb)?

Thanks 😀

• @bluebook "Burst" does not measure, a specific software tool you want to use does it.

I know that my own tools use TiB (2^40) instead of what HDD manufacturers use (10^12 per TB). The difference is about 10 % (2^40/10^12 == 1.099511627776). The amount of USABLE space is further reduced by what your Filesysten needs for housekeeping and configured parameters like "minimum free space".

What your toolchain uses is easy to find out: Just plot 100 Gigabyte. Then observe the disk space the plot file uses in Bytes. Then look for the amount of free space you want to plot, voila.

Also, the amount of RAM used by the plotter might come into play. Depending on plotter engine, if you assign 8 GiB RAM the output file might very well be a multiple of 8 GiB and not the parameter given above - 104 GiB instead of 100 GiB.

104 GiB, which is 
    111669149696 Bytes, 
       109051904 Kilobytes (exactly: KibiBytes, kilo-binary, but refered to
                            by Windows Explorer as "Kilobyte").

That is the reason I don't just give an overly specific answer for my setup that does not translate well into your setup.
    Test it with a file of at least 10 GB.

• @vaxman thank you, i was just curious on this point rather than it being a life or death question, as optimizing plots gives a lot of scope for miscalculation in size. Blago reports my meagre plot size in GB, not TB, and it was more a conversion calculation between the two sizes purely for optimizing, so perhaps i should have said burst pools instead of burst

• @bluebook said in random plotting question...:

Hypothetically, if i was to run 2 identical mining rigs for two separate accounts, if i plotted nonces 0 to 200,000,000 on each of them, would they generate the same d/l's on each block, or is the contents of the plot file affected by the accid used to generate the file?

I ask as lots of miners will have nonces 0 to X as people generally start at 0 and work upwards, but can't figure out whether if 2 people submit the same fastest d/l for that block, the person with the oldest accid wins, or the first to submit.

I have a feeling that the plot file contents is affected by the accid (meaning each nonce between 0 to X is different depending on what accid is plotted for and the size plotted), rather than multiple people submitting the same winning d/l and it being down to a second roll of the dice as to whether they win the block or not

A plot files's content is a function of the account-id.
    So, two different accounts with identical plot size will report vastly different deadlines for a specific block.
    In the long run, and I think of 10k blocks here (a month), the statistical average of all deadlines will be very close for both accounts, as they have the same plotsize.

And this is how pools calculate your plotsize, it is a statistical value of given network size (which itself is a statistical value) and your submitted deadlines, averaged over a long time. The shorter the timespan used for averaging, the spikier (both too high and too low) the "calculated/guessed" plotsize is.

If two miners submit nearly identical deadlines, luck decides which one will get to sign the block. In an ideal world of massively interconnected wallets without any timestamp hitches, blacklisted nodes, low memory situations, the lowest deadline will win, always. But the real network is a very complex thing, and so a better deadline might get discarded because of a slower propagation path.

• @vaxman @Bluebook Exactly... As with POC pool, I am in the effective capacity is calculated based on the last 360 blocks of DL submitted. This is pretty close to actual in my case.