Crashing

• Hi,

my first miner is a W10 with approx 18tb. unfortunately it keeps crashing. i cant get to run longer then 12 hours approx.

where to start with trouble shooting this?

thanks
    zac

• @zac123 any log entries ? Define "keeps crashing" - spontaneous reboot, system frozen, just the miner program vanished ?

• @zac123 Temperature problems ????
    Sure there are better programs but I use this to know how are the temperatures of the hard drives to the motherboard https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Still, it is to say something since without more information it is difficult

• If the miner is stopping and closing, make sure you create an exception for it's folder in defender. Also, I found that asking the miner to display block winner information caused it to close on its own accord anywhere between 5 minutes and a couple of hours

• hi everyone, thanks for the replies all very useful.

i'm pretty sure its not temperature related. i've probably gone overboard on the fans in this box.

i dont know if its the actual miner that crashes first of all or if its windows that crashes first. the computer it still running (i can hear fans) but its completely unresponsive and nothing is displayed on the screen. i cant RDP or VNC into it either and its IP address is showing as offline on my router control panel.

where can i access log that might tell me something?

• @energy said in Crashing:

@zac123 Temperature problems ????
    Sure there are better programs but I use this to know how are the temperatures of the hard drives to the motherboard https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Still, it is to say something since without more information it is difficult

thats a cool bit of software. it's def a keeper. thanks

highest temp is 40. most drives under 30

• it turns out i have a bad sector on one of my HDs. could that be cause? and is there anything i can do about it apart from removing the HD?
    thanks
    zac

• You might be able to flag the bad sector through the disk checking feature on windows, which (in theory) means the computer will avoid that sector when writing to the disk. May have to reinstall some program(s) afterwards, depending on what was/is using that particular sector.

• @bluebook ahh ok thanks i'll look into that. i was assuming that this disc was just a plot file but it might actually be the W10 disc. i wont know until i get home and investigate.
    thanks

• ok turns out I had a bad sector on a plotted HD. i have used windows to repair/remove the sector and i'm now mining again. hopefully without crashes. i'll leave it for 24hrs and see

• remember that a bad sector is a sign its time to replace the disk; more bad sectors will follow.

• @zapbuzz said in Crashing:

remember that a bad sector is a sign its time to replace the disk; more bad sectors will follow.

yes good advice. thank you

• your disk does have a space which houses spare clusters but when pc crashes and windows marks bad sectors on your disk it means they are already used. Also performance takes a dive.

• @zapbuzz hi

I am having 30TB plotted
    in mining It went upto 25TB and now it is 16TB
    I need to do anything to reach 30TB

Please inform

• @zapbuzz oh I did not know this. This is very worthwhile knowing. So basically it's time to change out the hd.

• @kalibc said in Crashing:

@zapbuzz hi

I am having 30TB plotted
    in mining It went upto 25TB and now it is 16TB
    I need to do anything to reach 30TB

Please inform

I'm interested to know how are you plotting 30tb in one go? I have always just done one hd at a time.

• @zac123
    sorry
    8TB external HDD 4 nos
    1 by 1 i did
    1 HDD 5 days it took

• @KALIBC when nothings found (nonce) your displayed capacity decreases on historical shares over time and goes up again when nonces are found again. I have just on 70tb I'm lucky to display 60tb, but its the average ; stops people receiving pay whilst not contributing a fair share. Only your installed miner can display the full capacity you own (unless your contributing 100% on a pool that has less miners but also can mean less payouts.)

• @zapbuzz
    Thanks for the feedback
    1 month back it reached 30TB
    Due to my vacation, 3 weeks not involved in mining
    So doubt came. I will wait

• 360 rounds for a realistic outlook @KALIBC and don't check up all the time being on VPN pools are sensitive with stats that it can degrade your mining temporarily causing historical share loss due to the nature of encrypted tunnelling from same origin. (give it a look once a day) Most noticeable on GSM and other lower bandwidth connections.