My plotting seems slow

• I finally decided to build a dedicated plotter so i could have my pc back. It's a Ryzen 1700 with 16 GB of ram. But it takes about 23 hours to plot 1 TB using xplotter at about 18000 nonces/min. So the External 8 TB drive that I'm plotting now will take just under 8 days.
    Is that normal?
    How long does it take you to plot?
    How can I make it faster without using GPU plotter?

• admin

@mongrel Sounds like you're using a Seagate External - they're SMR format, and a week is normal for them. If you can get an SSD, you ca plot them a lot faster using TurboPlotter

• @haitch Sorry haitch but I'm a noob.
    Can you explain in more detail please. It sounds like you just told me to get an 8TB SSD . . . I'm not rich.

• admin

@mongrel Seagate External drives are SMR - Shingled Magnetic Recording - they are really slow to plot, but fine for mining. Using an SSD - not an 8 TB one - can make the plotting faster, as SMR drives handle sequential writes fine, but are really slow on random writes, and plotting is a lot of random writes.You can plot to a fast drive, then copy to an SMR without incurring the random write SMR penalty.

• @Mongrel i am currently using a 500 gb SSD with the turbo plotter and a cpu that plots at half your rate and it takes 2 days per 8tb's

https://blackpawn.com/tp/

• @jaxblack said in My plotting seems slow:

@Mongrel i am currently using a 500 gb SSD with the turbo plotter and a cpu that plots at half your rate and it takes 2 days per 8tb's

Hi jaxblack. Does turbo plotter plot straight to PoC2 or do you have to convert after? And does the size of the ssd make much differance to plotting time?

• Is it an external drive connected via USB? If so, is the cable connected to a usb3 port on the rig, a usb2 port, or through a hub? If it is connected through a hub with other devices connected (such as another hdd with plots on), write speed can drop significantly when it is scanning the plots. If it is connected to a usb2 port (without the blue tab in it), it will seem to take forever to write the plots, and then take a further age to transfer them to another drive.

• @mongrel poc2

• @zac123 thnx zac.

• @mongrel It plots straight to POC2 and the SSD size doesn't make that much difference overall, but it does create more files if the SSD is smaller, and more files technically takes slightly longer to read. (but not really worth upgrading for). If you have a 120 or 240 Gb that will also work.

• @jaxblack Thnx heaps for the reply. I can get a 480Gb fairly cheap so I'll give it a go. My 8Tb has been going for 6 1/2 days now and still has 15% to go, so Turboplotter is definately worth a shot.

• @jaxblack said in My plotting seems slow:

@Mongrel i am currently using a 500 gb SSD with the turbo plotter and a cpu that plots at half your rate and it takes 2 days per 8tb's

I just ran a test between Qbundle XPlotter vs TurboPlotter & came up with some interresting times.

My rig is a Ryzen 7 1700, 16 Gb Ram, AMD HD7850 (I know I need to upgrade my GPU LOL )

The test was 10 Gb plot using 10 Gb Ram onto a WD Mybook 1 Tb external drive using a my C drive Kingston 120 Gb SSD as the SSD.

XPlotter took 5:25 Mins
    TurboPlotter using CPU & SSD took 8:07 Mins
    TurboPlotter using GPU & SSD took 7:03 Mins
    TurboPlotter using CPU with no SSD took 5:27 Mins
    TurboPlotter using GPU with no SSD took 5:05 Mins

Also the total nonces for XPlotter were 40936 & TurboPlotter were 38144.

Because the SSD cache added a step it took longer.

I thought the whole point of using TurboPlotter with an SSD was to make it faster.

Am I doing something wrong?

• admin

@mongrel Using the SSD is really only of benefit when plotting to SMR drives like the Seagate Archive/Backup drives. For regular PMR drives like your WD, there is no real benefit.

• @mongrel said in My plotting seems slow:

Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, you are looking at 10 GBytes.
    Make it 120 GB and you will see the effect kick in.

(Most) SMR disks are not SMR-only, but have a small area which is formatted with PMR. This is a staging area that swallows the data you write to the disk. After external (host-disk) I/O settles, the disk is still busy, shuffling the data from staging (perpendicular) to final (shingled) area.

As long as your write bursts fit this into this PMR area
    AND
    you have a very low I/O load afterwards for the times required to reshuffle data,
    your SMR disk will behave as any other disk.

It is only when you

a) write more than fits this staging area
    b) write randomly
    c) write continously without enough pause for reshuffling

that the SMR penalty hits you. Unfortunately, plotting does all of this.

I'm sure we have this explained in various places on this forum, but don't have a link at hand.

• oh ok. thanx for the info guys. I appreciate your help.

• if you decide to plot on Western Digital I recommend turn off write cache in device manager it really speeds up plotting (especially turboplotter) I have WD blues and reds they all increase writing speeds from 60- 90mb/s to 80-120mb/s but Seagate's only benefit as internal not external.