Poc1 > Poc2 conversion with Linux, some tools out there ?

• admin

@burnme I'm not using BTRFS so don't know how it'll interact with the metadata.

The script requires a specific filename rather than directory, so you'll need to run it per plotfile.

• @haitch

Hi i am just testing Poc1 to Poc2 and i got some issues:
    I am using this command:

./poc1to2.pl /mnt/HDD7/(plotfile name) -mem 18284 -out /mnt/HDD1

But everytime i got this message:

Outdir defined. Copy conversion mode.
    Name: ... (Plotfilename)
    Path: /mnt/HDD7/
    memory to be used: 4571.000 MB
    processing scoops...
    read 2147479552 bytes instead of 2396520448

First question: I defined mem with 18284 MB why is only used 4571 MB ? Without mem definintion i got the same read error. On a small plotfile without memory definition everything is working fine.

Second: read ... bytes instead of ... ? What does that mean and what to do ?

I am thinking that the converter expectetd 2396520448 bytes instead of 2147479552 bytes and that can be the error. But i don't know why. My PoC 1 file is working fine and is optimized.

• all I can say if it isn't gonna do it; plot, plot again (that's how I roll with Linux)
    my sympathies to Linux users btw

• Hi,

i was thinking the same actually i am testing the other PoC1 to PoC2 converter written in Rust.

I am using the command:

./poc1to2 here the folder and name of the plotfile -o some_directory

f.e. : ./poc1to2 /mnt/HDD1/10282355196851764065_123456789_10000_10000 -o /mnt/HDD2

In this example the PoC1 file "10282355196851764065_123456789_10000_10000" on HDD 1 is converted to a PoC2 file on HDD2.

With this converter it seems to be working with Linux. I realy don't want to plot again. The last time it needed a lot of time and cpu power for plotting.

Here is the Link for the converter: https://github.com/PoC-Consortium/Utilities.git

The Link for install instructions: https://github.com/PoC-Consortium/Utilities/tree/master/poc1to2.rust

I can everyone give the tip to use Linux. Its fast secure and stable without Microsoft spying you. But Microsoft did buy github 😞

• One of my poc1to2 processes crapped out for no apparent reason, predictably on an ultra-slow-plotting 8TB Seagate Backup USB drive.

There's no way to resume this process, is there? I'm going to have to plot it again from scratch, aren't I?

• @tinycoins

I got an error on poc1topoc2 too, like you.

My error message is now:

thread 'main' panicked at 'called Result::unwrap() on an Err value: Error { repr: Os { code: 5, message: "Input/output error" } }', src/libcore/result.rs:916:5
    note: Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 for a backtrace

Cause of lack of information for the converters both Linux converters are not working and I don't know what to to.

It seems that all Linux user have to replot everything with PoC2. Freaking out !!!!!!!!!! 😞

Don't know why there is no more support for Linux Converter. Has someone advice or knowing what to do ?

I am testing on and tell here my solving if I get some

And why is there no other Linux user reporting on PoC2 Converting. There should be thousands of Linux users who want to use PoC2 ? Perhaps tinycoins and ZapbuzZ are the two of three with me. So in the whole Burstcoin space there are 3 Linux users. Perhaps we are the most stupid Linux user and all others can code their own solution 🙂

• @burnme I'm using Ubuntu for mining and a bit of conversion, but I'm mainly using a Windows PC for plotting/conversion because it's a more powerful machine.

You don't need to freak out; which miner do you use? If you get the most recent release of creepminer then it will work with PoC1 or PoC2 pools while you gradually replot. (I don't know if the same is true for other Linux miners.) I'm on course for having about half of my plots converted by the switchover, but there's no need to panic.

• @tinycoins

I am using CreepMiner 1.8.1 so it will be working with PoC1 and PoC2.

Converting doesn't work for me. And actually i am testing PoC2 plotting. It's a bit frustrating cause PoC2 plotting with asynchronous writing doesn't work too.

I am not on panic but sometimes it would be nice to have smooth solution without testing so much.

So after testing i can say the asynchronous modus doesn't work on my Linux (Mintlinux), sometimes i got some freezing. But The normal one runs fine without asynchronous writing.

So Plotting isn't so much slower for me but it needs much more electricity and CPU Power but its ok now.

• admin

@burnme I suspect the 4GB figure is all it need to do the conversion.

The expected x bytes messages sounds like it might be a malformed plot - file size doesn't match the specs in the filename. Try running plotschecker on it.

If a conversion dies, the plot file is screwed, delete and replot - I some I was doing over the wire fail, still reporting ....

Finally the error opening,rust backtrack.... is probably due to the federal being mined at that point of time. Stop your miner before starting conversions.

• @haitch

1. both PoC1 to PoC2 convertes are using 4,5 GB RAM for each instance, i think you are right that its all it need to do the conversion.

2. Is there any Plotchecker for Linux ? I can't find it right now. (But the plots are mining fine i created them with dcct plotter and then optimizing them after plotting. The filesize is high 9 TB, perhaps its a bit to high for converting tool writen in .pl ?)

3. Rust backtrack: Ok i only disabled the miner for the HDD that gets the PoC2 file because i thought it would be ok to mine with the origin HDD during transformation to another HDD.

So what i am doing now:

Actually i have disabled mining all HDD that are on PoC2 conversion the origin HDD and the new output HDD.
    I am using the converter written in rust because the pl converter throws the error with the expected x bytes.
    I am trying to find another plot checker but CreepMiner can check the plots too and it says everything is fine.

If i got a solution i write a short HowTo for other Linux user.