Mining on a mini PC

• Thanks a lot for the replies guys! I will definitely look in to those Odroid XU4's. If I went with this option I would still use my main PC to plot, then just move the drives over.

I also put together a parts list last night for a new build with Micro ATX Mini Tower for burstcoin. If I did this it would be slightly more expensive however it could free up more time as I could plot on it as well as mine...

Decisions, decisions....

• admin

@eq For the Odroid, I formatted the drives under Linux as raw drives with some extra settings to maximize capacity, then very carefully plotted to an NTFS drive, then copied them over the network. If you just format them as NTFS, it adds a LOT of CPU overhead while mining - like 50% of a core per drive.

Can post more detailed instructions later.

• admin

@haitch And my Odroid just won it's second block :)

• @haitch Nice!

• After looking into these a bit more, I am thinking I will order one later on tonight.

Thank you for posting that guide, @MineSomeBurst, I will definitely need that when it comes in.

I will be using this for a whole new dedicated BURST build for our OUTBURST asset :)

Also, @haitch I would love some more info on plotting these as linux raw drives, if you don't mind.

Thanks

• Also, do you need the Odroid with an EMMC or are you fine to use a microSD?

• admin

@eq I'm using the eMMC.

For the raw drive formatting, don't partition the disk - we're using it raw - then format it with:

mkfs.ext4 -m 0 -i 67108864 -T largefile -O ^has_journal /dev/sdX

Replace X with the drive id - a for the first, b for the second etc.

This creates a file system on the raw disk, with minimum possible overhead.

Then mount the raw disk into the filesystem. Using the default /media:

mkdir /media/d1
    mount /dev/sda /media/d1

Then export the /media/d1 mountpoint via Samba. Plot the file on a regular PC, then copy to the Samba share. Alternatively use TurboPlotter to write directly to the share.

My Odroid:

0_1526654076063_2018-05-12 22.39.01.jpg

• @haitch said in Mining on a mini PC:

@eq I'm using the eMMC.

For the raw drive formatting, don't partition the disk - we're using it raw - then format it with:

mkfs.ext4 -m 0 -i 67108864 -T largefile -O ^has_journal /dev/sdX

Replace X with the drive id - a for the first, b for the second etc.

This creates a file system on the raw disk, with minimum possible overhead.

Then mount the raw disk into the filesystem. Using the default /media:

mkdir /media/d1
    mount /dev/sda /media/d1

Then export the /media/d1 mountpoint via Samba. Plot the file on a regular PC, then copy to the Samba share. Alternatively use TurboPlotter to write directly to the share.

My Odroid:

0_1526654076063_2018-05-12 22.39.01.jpg

Thanks so much or that info, will definitely try that when it comes in.
    What is the max number of drives you have been able to power off the odroid? If I had 2x 4 slot usb docks would I be able to run 8 external drives?

Thanks

• admin

@eq I've currently got 10 drives on it. One of the USB 3.0 ports on the Odroid goes to one of the 4 drive bays, the other goes to a USB 3.0 hub which drives the other 4 drive bay, 2 * Seagate 8TB Externals and the mouse. Keyboard goes into the Odroid USB 2.0 port.

• Nice setup @haitch!

@Eq I currently only have a few usb 3.0 drives running off of a 7 port hub (only 3 used at the moment). 1 8TB Seagate and 2 Western Digital 8TB. I thought it important to make sure the drives are running off of an external power source and not the ODROID just to make sure they're fully powered and you have more expansion options. I'm sure it would work fine plugging just two drives into the front USB 3 ports though if that's all you had.

I'm still experimenting on getting the total round time (read & verify) down in creepMiner, but it's a bit tricky. Ideally I'm trying to keep the round under 60s if possible, which I'm setting as my "drive limit". You're probably fine if you're under 4 min though. The beauty of such a cheap system is that you can just clone it and run multiples with a proxy for relatively low cost.

Don't use the latest 1.8.0 creepMiner. It has an extra database function that really slows down the ODROID. 1.7.16 works fine.

I've posted a little testing data here: https://www.minesomeburst.com/valid-deadlines-last-360-blocks/

I'm also looking into porting Blago's miner to Linux along with some possible optimizations for the NEON instruction set. We'll see how that goes after I've got some benchmarking in.

I don't know if you really NEED the eMMC module, but it's working pretty well for me thus far. It gives a little extra speed for messing around with compiling with different options, etc. Micro SD is cheaper by far though..