Dell PowerEdge C6100 8x Xeon Quad Core 32GB RAM Node Server

• Dell PowerEdge C6100 8x Xeon Quad Core 32GB RAM Node Server

Would this be a good server for burst?
    Would it be better to mine or to create the plots?
    What software would it take to make it work well for burst, which operating system would be better?
    It would be my first time with a server of these characteristics

Processor (CPU) 8 x Intel Xeon E5506 Quad Core 2.13GHz (2 x Processor Per Server Node)
    Memory (RAM) 32GB DDR3 RAM (8GB Per Node)
    Hard Disk Controller Onboard SATA Controller
    Hard Disk Configuration 12 x 3.5" SATA Drive Bays (3 Dedicated Per Node)
    Hard Disk Drive Configurable
    Graphics Integrated AST2050 with 64MB RAM
    Optical Drive N/A
    Network Ports Onboard Intel® 82576 – 2 x Gb Ethernet and 1 x 100Mb Ethernet dedicated management port (per node)
    Power 1x 1100W PSU
    Expansion Slots 1 x PCIe x16 (per node)
    1 x Mezzanine slot (per node)
    Interface Ports (per node) 2 x USB 2.0
    2x Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45)
    1x Dedicated management port (RJ45)
    1x Serial (RS232)
    1x VGA
    Remote Management Embedded BMC with IPMI 2.0 support with 1 x 10/100 Mbps RJ45 connector Intel® Intelligent Power Node Manager compliant
    Bezel N/A
    Rack Rails Configurable
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 447.1 x 805.2 x 87.6 mm

• admin

@Energy said in Dell PowerEdge C6100 8x Xeon Quad Core 32GB RAM Node Server:

Dell PowerEdge C6100

The C6100 is an interesting beast - It's similar to what I run my VM cluster on. It's 4 server nodes in a single 2U chassis. Each node is independent, dual processor, 3 disks per node. It would make a great miner and adding a SAS controller to each chassis, it offers awesome expandability - you could add an external drive chassis to each node, offering upto 180 additional drives to the whole setup.

If the cost is reasonable, I'd grab it.

• @haitch I think I'll have to read many manuals before I understand you hahaha

To the change I think that I would leave for about 400 dollars, I do not know how the prices are there but for Europe I think it is well priced

• admin

@Energy $400 for a C6100 with 4 functional Nodes? Grab it NOW! Mine was over $2,000.

If you decide it's not the right system for you, I'll pay you $600 and shipping for it ......

• @haitch But yours was also used? This I think is from a company that change them and have been checked and verified that everything works correctly.
    The problem is that it only sends to some european countries.
    I would have no problem sending it even at cost 0 and that you will help me to get on my way, but I can not be responsible for something I do not know, nobody assures us that within a week they will stop working.

But hey if you tell me it's okay I'll look and see what I do

• admin

@Energy Yep, mine was used, and got damaged by the shipping company.

@Ip85 Damn that's a good price. When did these get so cheap ?

• @Ip85 If I think it's that, I would not buy it there but it seems to be the same, as you can see it does not ship to all of Europe

• @haitch Is the same as when you put offers of hard disks from 8TB to 180 dollars and here in Europe they are 260 euros (290 dollars), we would have to win us hahahah

• @Energy , I don't want to hijack your thread but maybe @haitch can give an idea of the relative difference between these two. If the item you put up in the OP is a 10 (1-10 scale) what would this one be?

SuperMicro Storage Server 24 Bay 2026TT-DLRF 2x X8DTT-HEF+ E5620 CSE-217 +Trays

SuperMicro Storage Server 24 Bay 2.5"
    PN: 2026TT-DLRF
    Model: CSE-217 / 217-14
    Dual 1400w Power Supplies PN: PWS-1K41P-1R
    24 Bay Server, takes 24x 2.5" SATA/SAS/SSD Hard Drives
    24x 2.5" Trays Included
    Twin Node Server, Each Node Has:
    X8DTT-HEF+ Motherboard
    E5620 Quad Core Processor W/ Heatsink
    8GB RAM (2x 4Gb Dimm)
    Dual Slot PCIe x8 Riser Card PN:RSC-R2UT-2E8R
    BackPlane PN: BPN-ADP-E16-L
    No drives

Use for mining and plotting. Would you need to add a dedicated GPU to make this a kickin system?

• admin

@rds said in Dell PowerEdge C6100 8x Xeon Quad Core 32GB RAM Node Server:

SuperMicro Storage Server 24 Bay 2026TT-DLRF 2x X8DTT-HEF+

Nice, but there are better alternatives - you're limited to 2.5" drives which have a much lower capacity than 3.5" drives. I can put 192TB in a 24 * 3.5" 4U chassis, but would have difficulty, and expense, getting 50TB in that system.

• @rds said in Dell PowerEdge C6100 8x Xeon Quad Core 32GB RAM Node Server:

@Energy , I don't want to hijack your thread but maybe @haitch can give an idea of the relative difference between these two. If the item you put up in the OP is a 10 (1-10 scale) what would this one be?

No problem
    I have much to learn and with comparisons we can also see what is good and what is not

• In case of buying it and then wanting to expand it would have to buy something like that?
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111482
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816103257

• @haitch said in Dell PowerEdge C6100 8x Xeon Quad Core 32GB RAM Node Server:

@rds said in Dell PowerEdge C6100 8x Xeon Quad Core 32GB RAM Node Server:

SuperMicro Storage Server 24 Bay 2026TT-DLRF 2x X8DTT-HEF+

Nice, but there are better alternatives - you're limited to 2.5" drives which have a much lower capacity than 3.5" drives. I can put 192TB in a 24 * 3.5" 4U chassis, but would have difficulty, and expense, getting 50TB in that system.

This one is $275 probably add shipping cost, I didn't look at it in depth.

I see 4TB 2.5" drives for $130 on amazon, not as good as the <$23/TB you can get with the Seagate 8TB but not outrageous 🙂

So would either of these rigs need a GPU card?

• admin

@rds $130 for a 2.5" 4TB is damn good. However its $32/TB, whereas I'm getting 3.5" 8TB drives @ $22/TB

I doubt either of the system can accept a GPU - they normally don't have PCIe power adapters. You could use a low power card, but CPU will probably be faster.

• @haitch said in Dell PowerEdge C6100 8x Xeon Quad Core 32GB RAM Node Server:

@rds $130 for a 2.5" 4TB is damn good. However its $32/TB, whereas I'm getting 3.5" 8TB drives @ $22/TB

I doubt either of the system can accept a GPU - they normally don't have PCIe power adapters. You could use a low power card, but CPU will probably be faster.

So for the server type setups, which I think you alluded to that you use, the multi core CPUs provide the speed needed to scan fast?

• @haitch And which operating system would be best to take advantage of all the capabilities?
    If I understood correctly this would be 4 independent servers and you would have to install the system in each of them.
    I also see that it does not have any type of Optical Drive, so I suppose they would support external DVD readers or USB memories to install, or that would be needed to install the operating system

• admin

@rds yes, the miner is multi threaded, so if the number of drives is equal to, or less than the number of threads the system supports, all drives are read in parallel - pennywise currently has 15 volumes, and 40 threads, so all of them are read at once, I can add another 25 drives before there is any contention for mining processing.

@Energy - yep 4 individual systems, so 4 OS installations, USB or external DVD to install, any Windows/Linux OS will be fine. If you're thinking of doing external expansion, I'd go with a Windows server edition.

• @haitch You almost convinced me to invest in it, hahaha

• I a use a Dell poweredge R410 U1 servers, it has 4x2TB HDD. You can fill it full of HDD's for about $170 USD. I got the servers for a good deal, at work. Im thinking of getting a R710 it support 6 drives. buying a bunch of 2 TB HDDs it's cheaper than buying a 8TB HDD. If anybody needs some R410 servers, I will custom build it for you. And ship the 48 states.